Friday 30 November 2007

I Am Legend - Animatic gold.




A book, then a comic, to a film.

from Wiki : I Am Legend is a 1954 science fiction novel by Richard Matheson about the last man alive in Los Angeles, California. "I Am Legend has so far been adapted to film four times. The more prominent of the two 2007 adaptations, now set for release on December 14, 2007, features Will Smith as Robert Neville. The book has also been adapted into a graphic novel titled Richard Matheson's I Am Legend by Steve Niles and Elman Brown"

Steve Niles is also the part creator of the very cool comic "30 Days of Night", which was also recently converted to a movie that I higly recomend. Simply a great movie.

But anyway, back to Legend, the earlier conversions were pretty lame, the first one stared Vincent Price - "The Last Man on Earth". 1964. Then in the 70's came "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston. which was actually pretty cool. Then in the 90's there was the unmade Ridley Scott version which was going to star Schwarzenegger. One can only guess as to how this would have turned out...I'm going with two thumbs up. The finally a straight to DVD "I am Omega" which I havn't seen but imdb doesn't make it look good.

The coolest part of the current version are the animated "trailers" that they have been releasing. That don't actually star Smith's character, but realy just add to the world that he will star in. I'm guessing that they will also fill in some of the blanks in the movie as well. Hopefully they don't depend on this and assume that we have all seen them. This never works! yes, I'm looking at you Matrix 3. Detention for you! I'm guessing since its a Will Smith movie and they've put millions into it, some of the corners will be shaved off so it will appeal to as many as possible. But I'm still hoping that it will be a good one.

You can find the trailers on quicktime, or just click on the links below. Alex.


No comments: