Tuesday 10 June 2008

Unlikely Heroes

Time to fire this blog back up I say...

Ok, so here's my latest peeve... what the hell is with telling the audience during movie trailers that the main characters are 'an unlikely group of heroes'?

This is particularly the bane of animated movies, but I'm seeing it everywhere... to the point of there being nothing more likely than an unlikely hero. Is this the studios trying to say 'No, this one is different!', and inadvertently looking and smelling exactly the same as all the others?

The only one I like the look of is Hancock, and they don't (I don't think) say it- they do it, and it's entertaining! An interesting hero has to be interesting, not just novel, wacky or different.

I wonder- is this a symptom of us pillaging history, literature, pop culture and existing films so thoroughly that there's very few heroes left that we can be bothered with?

1 comment:

Andrew Silke said...

ha I'd just about forgotten about this blog!

As for the trailers, I haven't been watching too many lately, got the links? But can't say it isn't suprising. Francis (the guy I did the origninal toads treatment) suddenly got onto me the other day indicating he wants to get it going again. We'd had a small argument about which way to proceed with the story. I want to keep it in North Queensland, he wants it to be in Sydney. He wants it to be a road/buddy movie, arguing that you've got to have to formula or else you just won't be able to sell it. Typical producer, and he's the sort of go getter I could see doing the whole hollywood thing. Guess it's expected that they all follow eachother, it's just how they think.