Wednesday 11 July 2007

Sunset Boulevard


So in keeping with the Noir films I've been watching, I saw this one the other night. I'd seen it before years ago but hadn't remembered much. For a film that won 3 Oscars and went a long way to defining a genre I didn't think it held up that well. Ok, so it was shot in 1950, and is a character piece, but after a great start I felt it died in the middle.

For those who don't know, its a story about a down and out screen writer in Hollywood who comes across an actress who was the biggest thing in silent film but got left behind when the talkies started. She wants to make a comeback and hires him to edit a screenplay she has written to start herself. From the outset you realize she is mad and seeks the attention of the public again. But since he needs the money he agrees to sort out her ramblings.

Theres a great scene at the beginning with a monkey, and the opening shot of him facedown dead in the pool with the police standing over him had been used many times since. But apart from that I found it slow to watch. Pete's theory is since its a character peice - and defining characters have changed alot since then it becomes unidentifyable . But then the edit and the pacing were quite slow too. Especially after watching Fritz Lang's "M" filmed 20 years earlier which kept you gripped till the end.

It also has the monotone narration throughout the entire film. Anyone know which was the first movie to do this? The dialogue was great, that snappy 50's style - "Are you trying to be funny 'cause I'm all outta laughs". And the acting was amazing, espeically by the crazy Norma Desmond - I think become one of the influences for Cruella De Vil. But have to say I wasn't a big fan. I'd recommend watching it for its historical importance or some great over the top crazy reference. But would go with "M" first.

Great last line though - not a spoiler - but apart from Casablanca I think its one of the most recognisable - "Alright Mr Demill...I'm ready for my closeup".

2 comments:

Andrew Silke said...

Yeah I remember watching it a while back and thinking much the same. I thought it was trying to be a little weird just for the sake of it. The mood was pretty good though, it certainly had some style about, even if the plot wasn't engaging.

DP said...

Me three!
After hearing so much about it I bought the dvd from the states.
I found myself looking at the cover and checking imdb to make sure I had the right 'classic'.