Thursday 12 July 2007

Zapped Of Hope

Here's another animatic from my Wisdom Nuggets series. It's based on the real life experiments by Martin Seligman. He noticed that the dogs that were being zapped in 60s experiments were becoming conditioned helpless. So he decided to test out the theory in this experiment...


The animatic took about 2 weeks to create. I even created my first soundtrack!! It needs a lot of polishing, sorry about the voice over, I would've loved to re write/record the dialog but I'm on a tight schedule.

From Wiki on Learned Helplessness
"A follow-up experiment involved three dogs affixed in harnesses. The first dog was simply put in the harness for a period of time and later released. The second dog was put in the harness, and given electric shocks, which the dog could end by pressing a lever. The third dog was wired in parallel with the second dog, receiving shocks of identical intensity and duration, but his lever didn't do anything. The first and second dogs quickly recovered from the experience, but the third dog learned to be helpless, and suffered chronic symptoms of clinical depression."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff Silky. Love the zapped dog pics. Good job on the music too. works well.

you planning on animating it? 2d? 3d? theres a whole heap of ones you could do hey. Like we were talking about the other day - the money conditioning company theory :

http://home.iprimus.com.au/longhair1/h003.htm

its the blue text near the bottom.

Andrew Silke said...

Yeah sweet dude, I've thought about that alot after you told be I reckon it's a goer. there could be a whole series of these psych experiments! BTW have you read the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, i reckon you'd love it!

Gerrard said...

Sorry Silke, not to rain on the parade. I think it's a cool idea what you are trying to tell, but you are going to get side tracked by something I think you missed. Your story (or rather some people will take it this way.) Is about a bunch of faceless guys in coats torturing dogs. The thing is... they get away with it... No one cares what happens to Cane Toads. Dogs on the other hand, people have a strong reaction to want to protect them. I know of two other stories I can post you that tell the same story. Electrocuting dogs is not cool, it's cruel. Sorry man, I get what you are trying to say, power to the dogs (no pun intended) I'm just being honest. That was my first response. I wanted the dogs to escape and rip the scientists to pieces. I didn't care that they learnt a lesson to jump over a wall and get out of a rut.

Andrew Silke said...

Yep thats the response I've been getting from lots of people, certainly causes a stir. I know what you mean, it kinda falls short of the message its trying to say. But I still think it's cool for a couple of reasons. Mostly because it's pretty much a true story. I was trying to make an animated doco not a narrative. And if you come away thinking that humans are cruel then well that's reality, as I was saying to Pickard "do you eat meat"? I do. If so we are supporting people crueler than these scientists. Maybe that's for another animation. I don't mind that it leaves people with that message as a by product. Even if the real point doesn't quite make it. Though I can see what your saying, it leaves people jipped at the end. I can probably rewrite it to cushion that blow a little better.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I have to agree with Silky here. There are lots of movies that show the cruelty of humans - usually not through the dogs eyes of course. But still, I think a bad reaction is better than none at all.

p.s. Silky - God Delusion is on my bedside, its my next read. looking forward to it.