Monday 25 June 2007

Transformers



Ok, so for years I've been hearing people rant about Michael Bay ruining cinema blah blah blah. But plenty of people love his movies, and I figure, what's the problem?

Well, I saw Transformers last week, and I think movies like this are ruining cinema.

I'm kind of pissed that I think that, cause I think it probably means I'm getting old and snobbish at the same time, but I have my reasons.

I think Transformers is going to make squillions of dollars, and sell bucketloads of Hasbro toys. So by industry standards that would make it successful as a movie. Good on it for that- that's exactly what it's designed to do. Few in Hollywood would give the slightest shit about anything else, and from their point of view that's fair enough.

I also have the greatest respect for the fact the Michael Bay has the balls and stamina and gusto and know how to get a movie this massive actually made and as shiny as it is. Its daunting just to think about the physical logistics, let alone the politics and money and vfx and whatever the hell else he had to deal with.

The problem is that the movie is a mess, and because its (probably) going to make lots of money we're probably going to be stuck with a whole lot more in the way of messy movies in the next few years. People will validate/emulate the craft side of this film because it does well at the box office.

The story is thin and full of holes, but that's to be expected. Contrary to the underlying motive of this blog, most people don't go to blockbusters for the story. The problem I had is that the very thing a big action blockbuster is supposed to do well - big action - is just all over the place.

Transformers IS big. Staggeringly big. But: The choreography is totally, utterly confused. The editing is relentless- but not in a kinetic way, in a purely cover- the- fact- that- shots- that- don't- go- together- and- do-it-so-fast-that-nobody-can-catch-their-breath way. Each shot on its own is beatiful, but there's no sense of sequence design, no sense of space, no sense of developing rhythm, no sense of shot-to-shot momentum, no sense of DIRECTION. Its incredibly loud, incredibly fast, and incredibly confused and disorienting. Its like a firehose in the face. You leave the cinema feeling battered and confused. I've worked on my fair share of music vids, I'm used to fast cutting, but this movie gave me chronic cinematic indigestion.

My fear is that it's all that's going to be served up in years to come.

But, people will say, its FUCKING COOL. The thing is, I didn't think so, but even if it was, it could have been soooo much cooler if the action was directed well across sequences and not just within the individual shots. That's a Transformers that would really kick ass.

8 comments:

Andrew Silke said...

Dude great post! You and Alex are blitzin! Makes me sad though, I loved the Transformers so much. (sigh)

Anonymous said...

As one of the people who say "Michael Bay is a ruining cinema" I don't know if I'm pleased to know I'm right, or upset at what he's done.

I'll stick to upset since I wanted Transformers to be good. But the crazy thing is, I know its going to be bad, I know I don't like Michale Bay films, yet I'm still going to go see it! aaarrghh! I don't know why and I can't help myself either.

grumpy luddite said...

Wow it sounds really cool. I can't wait to see it.

grumpy luddite said...

But seriously (although I can't wait to see it), I'd be curious to get a recommendation of films that you think have really great cut together action sequences as something to think about while I'm being assualted this thursday night down at hoyts.

Mad Max 2, The Indiana Jones Movies, Saving Private Ryan and Bring It On come to mind.

Does anybody else have favourite action sequences and why?

Andrew Silke said...

Haven't seen Terminator 2 for a while but I remember thinking that some of those sequences were pretty good?

DP said...

I actually think James Cameron generally does kick ass action- Aliens, T2, True Lies.

All the ones you mentioned I think are great, especially Bring It On.

I also think the Lord of the Rings films have some great stuff. Some is not so great, but some is downright awesome.

grumpy luddite said...

Yeah, the Mines of Moria stuff in the first film with the giant chained cave troll was pretty amazing I thought. It occurs at a time when the film is establishing the dynamics of the fellowship and each character has his own story within the context of that fight and relationships are forged.

The death of the troll itself is surprisingly moving aswell. He's cg, he's ugly and stupid but I really felt sorry for him when Legolas shot those arrows into his brain. You can see alot of what Peter Jackson loves about King Kong in that moment.

Anonymous said...

I saw Transformers the other day. It was the most enjoyable piece of shit I've seen in a while. It really was bad film making at its best hey.

I see what you ment about incoherant sequences. I had no idea what was going on half the time. The shakey camera gave me the shits after the first 10 mins. I think directors should get over that already. Its overdone and just looks like you're trying to hide a bad shot - which was probably the case.

But I felt like we never got a clear good look at the transformers either. They were always just out of frame and shot.

But, like mcdonalds I enjoyed it while I was there and felt like shit after.